Scholarship of Teaching & Learning
The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) refers to the growing body of scholarly research on what happens in the classroom and how instructors can help their students learn. This page points interested scholars to some of the many resources available for those interested in using SoTL to guide their own teaching as well as those who are interested in engaging in SoTL themselves. [NOTE: SoTL really begins with Scholarly Teaching, which applies a scholarly lens to the practice of teaching by using evidence and reflecting intentionally on what is happening in our classrooms in order to improve our teaching and enhance students’ learning; see the Issues page on Scholarly Teaching for more information].
- A Guide to Scholarship of Teaching and Learning– Vanderbilt University’s Center for Teaching provides an excellent overview and introduction to the process of doing SoTL
- Teaching Journals Directory– Kennesaw State University’s Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning has compiled a comprehensive list of both disciplinary and interdisciplinary journals devoted to teaching in higher education (searchable by discipline or topic)
- Teaching Conference Directory– Kennesaw State also maintains a comprehensive list of teaching conferences
- Office of the Cross Chair in Scholarship of Teaching and Learning– Illinois State University has an endowed chair in SoTL and the website has a wealth of resources
- SDSU Scholarly Teaching Symposium– information and materials from the May 2016 event
- SoTL at SDSU (in progress) – Compilation of the scholarship being done by instructors at SDSU